How to link JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software?

qadram software August 10, 2017

Hello,

We have two different instances, that is, installed in two different servers, a JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software. 

Both are connected to an Active Directory for authentication.

The goal now is to allow users with a JIRA Software valid license, to be able to collaborate on the answers to customers that open tickets in JIRA Service Desk, but I can't find the way to do it, as I don't know how to add the JIRA Software users to JIRA Service Desk and recognized as valid user licenses. They are just treated as regular customers, and they don't have access to the regular interface, just to the customer portal.

We need to have two instances, as JIRA Service Desk is going to be open for the public, but JIRA Software is meant to be for internal use only.

Thanks in advance for any pointer.

4 answers

0 votes
Verena Diehl January 11, 2019

Only Service Desk Agents are allowed to communicate with the Service Desk Customers.
Therefore you'll need special (and expensive) licenses.

Another way to collaborate is to add the other users as Request Participants, so they can access the issue over the customer portal an comment on these issues.

0 votes
qadram software August 30, 2017

Thanks for your reply. The main problem here is that in the Service Desk instance, I don't have the JIRA Software Application, so I cannot assign any group to it. Check the attached image.

Captura de pantalla 2017-08-30 a las 9.25.43.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

Yes, that's because you have installed two separate servers.

You need to grant your duplicated users SD access on the SD server, and Software access on the Software server.

qadram software August 30, 2017

Yes, this is how it is setup, but the problem is that I cannot allow the Software users access to the SD projects as collaborators.

That is, how can I grant collaborator access to Software users on the SD server?

Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

Again, you have to duplicate their accounts on the SD server and grant those accounts access.

0 votes
qadram software August 15, 2017

Ok, sorry, but I don't understand. The jira-software-users group doesn't exist on the Service Desk instance. Apart from that, how to grant JIRA access to a group on Service Desk? The problem of having two separate instances is that I cannot do that as JIRA is not on the list of applications in that instance, just Service Desk.

Thanks a lot for your help, let me know any extra info you need.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2017

As I said before, you have two different servers.

You need to duplicate the access on one server on the other.  The best way to do that in simple cases like yours is to re-use the AD group(s) you're using.

Look at the application management for selecting the groups you can use for "can use <application>"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2017

They are separate servers.  So you'll need to *duplicate* your user accounts on both of them.  Your AD already allows for that, but it sounds like you need to look at the access.

You just need to look at the JIRA Software users to see what grants them access to JIRA Software (probably they are in a group like "JIRA software users"), and add that to the Service Desk server.

qadram software August 14, 2017

Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you mean to create the group "jira-software-users" in Service Desk?

I already tried that, but it doesn't provides me the option of allow those users to use the Service Desk interface, that is, they behave exactly the same as external customers.

I will try again though.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2017

Not quite what I said.  The easiest thing to do is take your jira-software-users group and grant it JIRA access on the Service Desk server.  Not Customer access, but proper full JIRA access.

Suggest an answer