How to limit sprints in sprint field to dedicated project

Mattias Hallqvist May 13, 2014

I really like the new spint field making it possible to add an issue to a sprint as you create it.

However, when you start typing to find your sprint, sprints from other projects shows up, and since they often have the same name in different projects you can't tell which one is correct.
I think it makes no sense to show sprints from other projects so I hope this can be solved?

I've searched but found nothing so I figured I better start a thread about it.

4 answers

2 votes
Emett Sluskonis August 8, 2016

Has there been any progress made with this?

1 vote
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2014

Hello Mattias,

Actually, this is the expected behaviour. All the sprints brought up are related to some issue that has been caught by the board filter. If you go into your "Manage Boards" page, and edit the board, you will see the filter that i'm talking about. I believe the only way to avoid bringing up these additional sprints would be to restrict the board per project. This would mean that the board would only see issues from such project and, consequently, only the sprints associated with it.

I hope that helps!

Benito Picarelli

Mattias Hallqvist May 15, 2014

Nope. That is actually not the case. My filter is specific to the dedicated project, but still sprints from other projects shows up.
If I try to add the issue to one of those sprints, a sprint is created with the same name in the dedicated project.
What's interesting also is that if I delete the issue, the sprint goes away too, as if it didn't really existed.

Like # people like this
0 votes
André van der Zijden August 25, 2014

Mattias have you found a solution to this problem yet? Or has Atlassian answered this somewhere else perhaps?

Ok I've checked some other answers and found some more information. There's an issue for this in the JIRA project for JIRA agile, see: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10854. This is the issue to improve the suggestions layout (at least something). And also points out there's a workaround, if you start typing in the field then all sprints will show the origin of the sprint, which is useful to chose the right one.

And the actual issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10805, which is something Atlassian isn't planning on implementing because apparently it is useful in some occasions.

Hope that helps you a bit, it helped me. And if doesn't help you can upvote the issues so that at least they know you want it.

Mattias Hallqvist August 25, 2014

Nope. No solution. No answer. Thanks for asking.

Mattias Hallqvist August 25, 2014

Ok. Makes some sense.

However, I definitely think you should make it more clear by at least, always stating the project origin for sprint not in active project.
Both in suggested-list, and all-list.

I tried it out and it seems to only state origin in all-list for some sprints outside current project but not all.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a sprint and a project are not actually coupled. A board in JIRA agile apparently is coupled to a sprint (or sprints) and therefor when you are creating an individual issue there's no knowledge of what the project origin's sprint is, since this relation simply doesn't exist.

I think it would be useful if sprints could actually be coupled to projects, or if projects could be coupled directly to a board. If that's the case, you can find the correct sprints and it could be made into an option or at least be displayed differently.

Mattias Hallqvist September 10, 2014

Ok. So then the immediate quickfix is to show the board name next to the sprint name instead, since in 99% of all cases a board is connected to a single project. Why not simply always show the board name next to the sprint name?

PA Test Bradley October 9, 2015

Perhaps not an ideal solution, but we manage this issue by appending a prefix to our sprint names when first created to distinguish the projects and sprints (ex. Prj1_Spint1)

Randall Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2015

I ditto Paul's work around.

0 votes
Mattias Hallqvist June 1, 2014

Waiting for more input on this.

Suggest an answer