How to limit or pre-define the amount of values for a customs field of type label?

Holger Kloenne July 5, 2012

Is there a way of combining the comfortable way of handling labels with the advantage of pre-defining the selectable values/options as possible for multi select fields?

Using JIRA 4.2.2

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

Um, that kind of renders labels pointless. Multi select fields are there to allow people to put tags on, from a pre-defined list. Labels are there to allow the user to tag things with whatever they feel.

There's nothing in-between those - either you want a pre-defined list (use a multi-select), or you want the users to enter stuff (use labels)

0 votes
Matt Taylor March 2, 2016

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I disagree Nic. The labels interface for entering values is much easier and cleaner than a multiselect, particularly if you have a lot (10+) of options.

It's a lot easier to type in a value with autocomplete (or select from the drop down), or click on the x to remove a value, rather than having to scroll through a list, remembering to hold ctrl whilst to click to add or remove an entry or you lose everything that was selected before.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

I think you need to look at the dates - the answer was valid four years ago in JIRA 4.  The interface you're talking about is a later and better one, for both types of field.

Also, the question was not about the interface, it was about how to handle the content.

Matt Taylor March 3, 2016

But the original problem that was raised is still an issue in the latest JIRA 7. You still don't have the ability to limit what the user can enter in a custom label field.

And the multiselect is still not as easy to use (or comfortable as the original poster put it) as a label. You still have to scroll through the list, and ctrl-select the entries to either add them or remove them. It would be a lot easier if you could have the same way of adding or removing entries from a field as with a label, but having the ability to restrict it as with a multiselect.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2016

That "original" problem is still correctly answered.  Labels are designed to allow users to add items.  If you want to limit them, use the multi-select.

The secondary problem of the multi-select feeling uncomfortable - totally agree.  Atlassian are moving that way though - have a look at the components field.  There's an in-progress request to allow the "renderer" for that to apply to multi-selects as well.

atlasfire_andrew April 7, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] I think having a component style renderer for multi-select would help considerably.  I'm pretty new to JIRA, is it possible to create your own multi-select renderer?  Even one that shows more than 5 values at a time would help for some use cases.

On another note, I work on an internal web site and we have an enhanced bootstrap type-ahead control that does the following:

• On focus, automatically recommends up to x values based on popularity.
  • On typing, it filters the values available based on substring matching.

This approach has been invaluable in solving a common problem where you can have a lot of values, you want to restrict the values, yet you want to give visibility to common options.  I haven't seen many commercial sites use this approach but it works extremely well for a variety of scenarios.

Suggest an answer