How to limit Assignable User to one name for a given Workflow Step, for users of a certain Group?

Regina Stolerman May 25, 2012

I have user called "Engineering" and in my project I have setup that a newly created issue it set to "Pending Acceptance" Status (i.e. "Pending Acceptance" Workflow Step) and gets assigned to this user.
How can I set it up so that while the Status stays "Pending Acceptance" any User that belongs to a "Support" group can see only "Engineering" as an Assignee?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2012

For that step, you can use a Condition option to include only those groups that can assign. Since you can create more than one condition and use the OR operator, you can add all of the groups that can assign. And, any user not in those groups you define, will not be able to assign.

Regina Stolerman May 29, 2012

Closer but not quite there yet... :-)

Conditions wouldn't work because they are for transitions, and I'm dealing with a workflow step. Permission properties seem to get me closer to the goal.

I've deleted the <jira.permission.assignable.user.1=Engineering> property for the "Pending Acceptance" Workflow Step, and replaced it with:

jira.permission.assign.group.1=jira-developres

i.e. allowing users only from the 'Developers' group to use 'Assign'.

Is it possible now to add something to it allowing users from the 'Support' group to use 'Assign' as well, but a "limited" Assign, where they will see only one name in the Assignee drop down? (i.e. "Engineering")

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2012

Hi Regina,

Inside the workflow, in the create issue transition you can add a post-function that assigns the issue to that user. Then you can manage the issue assignee by configuring the permission scheme. You can assign only that user for the permission called 'Assignable user' or you can give the 'Asign Issue' permission just to the project administrator or something like that. Could be like that?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

Or maybe I'm not understanding well?

I believe you didn't understand me. I need it to be working exactly as I put it, i.e. *ONLY* while the workflow step is "Pending Acceptance" then the only "Assignable User" for anybody logged in from the "Support" group is "Engineering" user.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

The only thing I could imagine to achieve this is by writing a script for a condition test with the Script Runner plugin. I'm pretty sure this can't be done inside the Jira itself, but maybe with the plugin or doing a little dev...

K Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

I don't think I quite understand either. Are you wanting a user from another group to be able to assign anyone, but only members of a support group only able to assign the Engineering user?

If so, I would agree with the prior poster unless someone has developed a custom plugin for this. I can choose to make only a certain group that can make an assignment; I can choose to make only members of a group be able to be assigned. But, I cannot make it such that a user from one group can have a different set of assignees than another group.

You could just remove supports ability to assign while it is in that status using the status permission properties.

I often use this to allow only specific groups the permission to assign when at a given step.

I like this tutorial on the subject: http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2011/02/permissions-based-on-workflow-status.html

KKELLY,

repeating part of your answer " You could just remove supports ability to assign while it is in that status using the status permission properties." -- THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED.

How can I remove "Assign" permission for a "Support" group when the Status="Pending Acceptance"?

Thanks!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2012

It partially working for me, but I really need to be able to filter it by Group. So what I did is I've added a property

jira.permission.assignable.user.1=Engineering

so now if I'm clicking on the Assign button being on the issue view page, I see only Engineering in the drop-down for the Assignee.

However if I login as a user from non-Support group, I want to be able to see all the users in the Assignee drop-down as it was before. Is it possible?

Suggest an answer