How to invoke a webhook when a JIRA event is fired?

D. U. December 11, 2017

I am new to Atlassian programming and I want to invoke an external application via REST when an event is fired in JIRA, for instance when the priority of an issue is changed. (An event is fired when I change the priority in a JIRA issue, isn't it?)
I have registered the URL of a SpringBoot application as a webhook in JIRA so that this springBoot app shall be informed via a REST call that something happened in a JIRA project.

Did I understand webhooks correctly that I can use them this way?

How can I achieve that the event gets to the SpringBoot app/webhook?

Is there a way to test that an event is really fired from wihtin JIRA? How can I test this?

3 answers

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

In your Webhook configuration, you have issue-updated checked?

Untitled.png

D. U. December 16, 2017

I tried this in the meantime because I didn't had any else idea. ;-)
The checkboxes weren't activated because I thought that when "All events" is used I don't have to check the checkboxes. 

However, Josh, you were right! I didn't checked them...and that was the problem.

Thank you, Josh! :-)) 

0 votes
D. U. December 14, 2017

Hi Josh.

Thank you for this hint. I set up a requestb.in and then I made a change to a JIRA issue. The callback defined in the webhook was reached with a filled request body (JSON) and these headers: 

HEADERS

Total-Route-Time: 0

Connect-Time: 0

X-Request-Id: 4c4396cc-e69e-49d1-815c-47e6eac0dfa9

Via: 1.1 localhost (Apache-HttpClient/4.4.1 (cache)), 1.1 vegur

Host: requestb.in

Connection: close

Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8

User-Agent: Atlassian HttpClient 0.23.3 / JIRA-7.6.1 (76002) / Default

Cf-Visitor: {"scheme":"https"}

Accept: */*

Accept-Encoding: gzip

Cf-Connecting-Ip: 84.175.85.213

Cf-Ray: 3cd11a95cb812702-FRA

Content-Length: 1369

Cf-Ipcountry: DE

My SpringBoot app's method defined in the webhook now is called...but unfortunately only when I edit a comment. Not, when creating a new issue or reassigning the issue to another person, .. What do I have to do here?

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2017

Hi,

In the "priority field changed" example, the way to do this is set up the webhook to fire on issue updates, then write code in your application that focuses only on changes to the priority field. 

You can set up additional logging for webhooks using these instructions to see if they're firing:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-collect-data-for-atlassian-support-for-troubleshooting-jira-webhooks-397083035.html

Also https://requestb.in/ is your friend when troubleshooting webhooks.

Suggest an answer