How to install third-party jar libraries required by a user-made plugin in JIRA

Akira Tsuchiya
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2012

1. I made a JIRA plugin which requires third-party jar libraries.

2. I copied the third-party jars into [JIRA Inst]/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib .

3. But the plugin cannot get the classpath to the jars.

Q1. Is it right to copy third-party jars into [JIRA Inst]/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib?

Q2. If it is not, how should I install third-party jars in JIRA?

I want to know JIRA plugin development rules in this perspective.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2012

Hi Akira,

You'll probably be writing a plugins2 plugin, using maven, which is standard for the atlassian sdk. The method you should use is to deploy your dependencies into a maven repository, and mark them as a compile dependency in your plugins pom.xml. The SDK will then neatly bundle them into your plugin. Deploying JAR's into WEB-INF/lib is not guaranteed to work, and is not a recommended route.

Akira Tsuchiya
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2012

Thanks fro your reply.

I described the third-party library dependency in the pom.xml.

But I do not know how to bundle it into my plugin.

I want to know the part of "mark them as a compile dependency in a pom.xml".

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2012

Suggest an answer