How to install jira in cPanel VPS

Hello, i try to install Jira from .bin on VPS with cPanel.

Location of jira install /home/user/public_html/

location of data files /var/atlassian/application-data/jira

when try to start jira from /home/user/public_html/bin/start-jira.sh i get :

To run JIRA in the foreground, start the server with start-jira.sh -fg

executing using dedicated user: jira

./startup.sh: line 62: /home/user/public_html/bin/catalina.sh: Permission denied

./startup.sh: line 62: exec: /home/user/public_html/bin/catalina.sh: cannot execute: Permission denied

i have tried to change owner and permissions, but not results.
thanks,
Mihai

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

any sugestions ?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 jira jira 19189 Aug 28 09:53 catalina.sh - not working , same messege:

./startup.sh: line 62: /home/user/public_html/bin/catalina.sh: Permission denied

./startup.sh: line 62: exec: /home/user/public_html/bin/catalina.sh: cannot execute: Permission denied

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19189 Aug 28 09:53 catalina.sh - same error
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user user 19189 Aug 28 09:53 catalina.sh - same error, "user" is cPanel user

You've used three different user-owners and two different login users there and not explained what combinations you've tried.

The first file looks right to me, because it's owned by the Jira user. So you need to run it as the Jira user. Or change it to another appropriate user. Make sure you have done this for ALL the files in the Jira installation though.

Once you've got the permissions lined up correctly, then the other thing that may throw "permission denied" type errors is SELinux - you might need to look into telling that to let it run.

here's an example

all files and folders from /home/user/public_html/jira/ (install folder changed from previos post) have owner jira:jira

./start-jira.sh

./startup.sh: line 62: /home/linuxzon/public_html/jira/bin/catalina.sh: Permission denied

./startup.sh: line 62: exec: /home/linuxzon/public_html/jira/bin/catalina.sh: cannot execute: Permission denied

SELinux status: disabled

Just to clarify: are you doing this within a web folder that's under cPanel itself?

yes

You say you've tried to change owner and permissions - could you explain what you've done there? Might be easiest to show us the results of "ls -l catalina.sh" and tell us who the current user is, the one you're running Jira as.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

165 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you