How to insert report data in Excel in a way it can be refreshed?

Raphael Dreyfus August 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Setting up service desk reports

I do not want to have to export each time the result of a query into a new CSV file and then reprocess the file.

I would like to have dynamic data in a cell and refresh it in Excel, whenever I need.

More specifically, I would like to have in my Excel cells a call to JIRA that will return the number of open tickets for a specific user and that I could refresh easily, using the Excel data refresh button.

Of course, it is a column of tens of users with tens of similar calls.

Your help on how to do it would be well appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user August 22, 2016

Or....

Once you get the report setup in search issues, just setup a subscription and it will automatically send the new information to you.

Otherwise the dashboard approach Steven suggested may be just what you need!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

There's no way to just 'do this.' Excel does not work that way. Your best bet would probably be a script or a VBA script inside of excel.

Raphael Dreyfus August 21, 2016

Thanks Steve for your prompt answer.

I was hoping to be able to use the Excel "Get External Data" function to do this, but let's say that I need to learn more about Excel so that I could write a VBA script inside Excel:

How can I access the data of number of open/closed/open this week/closed this week/... tickets for every single customer of my JIRA Service Desk projects?

Query like:

reporter = "name@mail.com" AND resolution = Unresolved AND project in (MYDESK1,MYDESK2) AND "Customer Request Type" is not EMPTY

returns a list of tickets.

How can I get instead of the list, the total number of tickets?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

I only have Excel 2011 which appears to have a lame Get External Data function, I'm not sure I can help much with that feature.

JIRA will only ever return a list of issues. It's fairly easy to convert a list into a count in Excel though, once you get it there.

Typically you would do this on a JIRA Dashboard, a Two-Dimensional Chart should show you the counts you're looking for.

Suggest an answer