How to inherit the value of custom field and summary field from parent issue to sub-task in JIRA?

Karmen Cheung May 11, 2016

How to inherit the custom field and summary field values from parent issue to sub-task issue in JIRA?

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

You might be interested in this solution with the JIRA Quick SubTasks plugin.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

You'll need code.  JIRA can default some of the system fields, but that's it.  If you want to "inherit" more, you'll nee to write code to duplicate the things you need.

I'd strongly recommend not duplicating the summary though - it should be indicative of what the sub-task is for as part of the whole, not just a copy of the parent.

So, what is the settings for "Update parameters of the Copy Value From Other Field Function for this transition." and "Update parameters of the Set Field Value from Parent Function for this transition." are not configuring or set the value of field inherited from parent issue to sub-task issue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2016

Ok, you have an add-on that provides the code you need.

The second function is the one you need - you should find you can select a field and it will be copied when you go through a transition (such as "create")

Where I can do the coding? Anywhere that I can place my coding? Could you tell me more details of the deployment or coding procedures? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2016

You don't need to code, you have already installed something that can do it for you!  Have a look at the functions available on the transition you are doing.

Suggest an answer