How to inform multiple users upon Jira issue creation?

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Hello Everybody

is it possible to inform multiple Jira Users upon creation of an issue?

My first thought was to make a default assigne which has a mail distribution list as mailaddress. But unfortunately it's not guarantee that he'll always be the assigne. Sometimes we even won't have one in the beginning.

Background (maybe you have other ideas how to solve the problem): We would like to use Jira for a support contract we have. Since we are bound to response to issues within a certain (very short) amount of time, we'd like to notify multiple people whenever an issue is created so it will be processed in time. If we only had one person notified, the person could fall short for whatever reason (e.g. accident) and the issue might get stuck which our co-contrator wouldn't take lightly.

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Create a group and add users which you want to recieve a notification when an issue is created .

Now in the projects notification scheme add this group to the create issue event .

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Wow, that was so easy. Why didn't I think of this in the first place?! Now i feel kinda ashamed; it's so obvious.

Thank you a thousand times!

Like Doğucan Baskın likes this
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Welcome... :)

0 votes
L Phillips March 17, 2014

Hi guys, I just signed up to Jira to use as a bug tracking tool on a software development project. can someone please guide me through integrating Jira with Outlook so that we can be receiving email notifications when a bug is raised or when someone changes the status of a defect/bug? Im am lost. Im the administrator and dont know how to set this up. I have added 15-20 users to Jira and im currently in the process of preparing for UAT. I need emails to come from Jira.....into outlook please.

0 votes
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

You can use:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.burningcode.jira.issue.customfields.impl.jira-watcher-field

With this plugin (free) you can add a 'Multi User Picker' to set watchers user on creation issue.

Hope it helps!

Daniel

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

Thank you for your fast response!

Unfortunatley I think it will nod allow us to do what we want:

This field acts the same as any old "Multi User Picker" field, except it contains a list of all the watchers on an issue. When creating an issue, it will be blank [...]

We'd like to notify multiple users as soon as the issue is created to let them know that there's work to do and whoever sees it firs will take the issue or inform the person best suited for dealing with it.

Suggest an answer