How to include story point field for bug type issues

Tyler October 30, 2014

I believe that my setup is correct in regards to having the issue type 'bug' associated with the field 'story points'. My project is also using the correct configuration (default) and the story point field appears to also be linked to the right screen. 

The reply from Karie in a similar question seemed to explain it best (found here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25224)

However - when I go and edit an existing issue (type of bug) or create new, the story points field is still not presenting. 

I need to be able to track bugs (actually use the 'bug' type for issue) as well as assign story points to it so we can track velocity / sprint burndown / release burndown/ appropriately. 

See screenshots below. What am I missing? 

JIRA_Fields1.JPG

JIRA_Fields2.JPG

JIRA_Screens.JPG

JIRA_Screens2.JPG

4 answers

12 votes
Ronald van Woensel January 7, 2016

how did you do that? 

Update: found it out myself. This is hidden in admin->issues->custom fields 

search the story-points row and use the cogwheel, click "add-context" and use the multi-sel box to add the bug-status.

A bit of interaction design for the jira-admin section would really help...

3 votes
Elvin Badalov November 5, 2018

I can add story points to bugs after some manipulations. But can't get Jira to include bug estimates in sprint total. How do I get Jira to count bug estimates.

0 votes
Tyler November 5, 2014

UPDATE: 

Resolved issue. When originally looking at the setup - I did not have the proper admin rights for the right configuration. 

Issue was that the field 'Story Points' was not associated with issue type of 'Bug'. Had to login as admin, configure the field and then associate with the proper project and issue type. 

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

Try "Where is my field" feature to find out what could be the problem

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/04/jira-admins-where-is-your-field/

Rohit Singh February 26, 2018

Boris this will only woks if story point field already added from issue type schema and displayed none from administrator. 

Suggest an answer