How to import test case steps with Zephyr Importer?

Vratislav January 6, 2020

Hello. I am working on external project and we would like to import test cases which we have in XLSX into Zephyr. 
My google-fu lead me here: Import which lead me here Zephyr for JIRA Importer Utility 
but that is kinda out of the question because we don't have control over the Jira (the 3rd party has). I have checked what fields does importer has available and as you can see bellow there's very little.

zephyr.PNGCan it be done with the Importer instead of that utility? We might be able to ask the 3rd party to make changes to importer settings and I just need to know if it can be done. If not, we would just do it manually. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

The Zephyr for Jira Importer Utility supports importing data into every single field that Zephyr tests and cases have. What specific field are you trying to import data into that you think that utility doesn't support?

Vratislav January 8, 2020

We can't use the Importer utility becasue we don't have access to the local machine since it's under control of the 3rd party and the Importer which is in Jira doesn't have the fields to import test steps.

David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

The Importer Utility uses the REST API, so you don't need 'local' access, only network connectivity over ports 8080 and 443. Ask the third party to accommodate this and you're in business.

As for the built-in Importer, it supports all the fields of all the issues within the project you are accessing. If the field isn't shown on the Importer's screen after you connect to a project, then that field hasn't been configured to be visible on the associated issue's edit screen. If you resolve that, the field should be available to you.

You specifically mentioned 'test steps'. The field you need to add is called 'Zephyr Teststep'. If you add that field to the Test issue's edit screen, when you use the Importer to bring data into a Zephyr Test (issue) your Importer screen will show the three test case data fields, as per this screen grab:

Capture.PNG

Like GULSHAN KUMAR likes this
Y Lee August 19, 2020

I have a similiar question but with a twist.

I have the Importer tool but would like to have it import the User Stories ID that have existing in JIRA to link with the test scripts that we are importing in.

Do you know of (a) another tool that can do the import or (b)how I can modify the tool to be able to bring this field information over?

1 vote
Bibek Behera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

Hello @Vratislav ,

I would suggest you to check in the zephyr custom field is added to the create issue screen. If you are able to see the test detail(Test set, Data, Expected Results ) in the create test screen of JIRA, you will be able to see the same details in the importer section to drag and drop too.

Please give it a try!

-Bibek

Suggest an answer