How to import reporter or assignee using email address

Tammy Robinson November 20, 2017

I have a project where users need to create issues via csv import.  Isn't there a way to import and set the assignee using the email address or name (vs the user id)? Most users will have to look up a person's employee id, but they will most likely know the name or email address.  

Is there a way to use email address? I cannot get it to work, but thought I read it somewhere before.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2017

If you are using the delivered JIRA CSV Import you will need to use the username for existing JIRA users in order for that import to map correctly.  If the user does now exist then:

People in the Assignee or Reporter fields can be imported as new Jira users.

• Users are created as active accounts in Jira. Users will need to get their passwords emailed to them the first time they log into Jira.
  • Users with no real name will get the portion of their email address (login name) before the "@" character as their Full Name in Jira.
  • If you use External User Management, you can't create new users via import. Instead, the importer will give you a list of any new users that need to be created. Create the users in your external user repository before the import.
  • If you have a user-limited license (e.g. personal license), and the number of required users is larger than the limit, then the import will be stopped. A page will appear showing a list of users who can't be created.
  • If Assignee and Reporter are not mapped, then no usernames are created

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html

Tammy Robinson November 20, 2017

Thanks for the response, Brant.  You mentioned the "delivered JIRA CSV Import".  Is there another import that would map the name or email address to the user account?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2017

There are additional import tools in the Atlassian Marketplace.  Some allow you to import from or sync with excel.  I have not used any of these add-ons but would assume the functionality would be similar.  

Suggest an answer