How to import options for a Custom Field of type 'Select List'?

Shaun Field September 26, 2011

I have created a custom 'client' field which is a select list. I have over a hundred client names which I would like to have as options. These are coming from our CRM system. Rather than manually entering the list of options is it possible for me to import the list of options from a spreadsheet or text file?

NOTE: I am using a hosted version of JIRA so I am unable to update the custom field table directly.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2011

I think you could use JIRA Importers Plugin (remember to update the version to the newest one first) and its CSV import. In CSV file you could list dummy issues (summary is the only mandatory thing) and the option which you would like to import. Something like:

"Summary", "Option"
"1", "Option A - client name"
"2", "Option B - another client name"
"3", "Option C - another client name"

Then you should map the first column to issue summary (that's mandatory) and the second column to your Select List custom field (which you should create prior the import).

After the import is done, just bulk delete all such dummy issues and you will get your custom field with all the options filled out by JIRA Importers plugin.

Shaun Field September 27, 2011

I'll give it a go, however I was hoping for something a little cleaner. I have 100+ options to import so that is alot of dummy issues to delete.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2011

Remember, that if you import these dummy issues into a temporary project (which you can create directly from JIRA Importers Plugin), then you can get rid of all these issues with a single click - by deleting this project.

Boran Gögetap December 9, 2017

It seems like JIRA's logic to import new values into custom field options has changed since 2011.

When I try to execute the suggested procedure I receive errors like:

• The value [ {null=my value} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ my field ]. The value [ {null=my value} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format

It works only for cases where I had populated my custom options field with the value my value.

Can anyone confirm that JIRA has changed its import logic?

Is there another way to bulk-populate options for a custom select list?

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2018

Suggest an answer