How to import data from clearquest to jira with attachements

mnpiad March 6, 2013

Hello i have gone through other question about the migration from CQ to jira but did not find the steps on how to bring attachments from CQ to Jira is there any option available ? I dont know about jelly or soap or groovy script as mentioned in another questions.

Also when i tried to use the importer for importing the csv file i get an error for the description field

Failed to read CSV file, you may decide to ignore the error: java.io.IOException: Malformed CSV stream. Missing [ ] near offset 321 after field 11 on line 1657

if i open the file in exel i dont have line 1657 max line is 1457

-Mehul

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

What we did for a large ClearQuest -> JIRA migration that included all issue history and attachments as well as migrating the issues into a new process workflow was to, as far as the attachments were concerned, write a standalone java utility that pulled the blob attachment data out of the database and stored it in files using a naming convention where the file name matched the attachment id from the clearQuest database.

We then combined these extracted files with another standalone java process that took the location of the extracted files along with the location of the migrated issues (i.e. the jira instance) and the table name containing attachment information. The utility then walked over the migrated issues, took the clearquest id from the issue and looked to see if it had attachments. If there were attachments it pulled the attachment id's from the database and found the files and attached them to the jira issue using the available meta data to indicate the correct file name.

It was a little ugly, and if I had to do it over again I'd probably just write something that streamed the blob data straight from the database instead of extracting it first - but in the end it worked, and quite rapidly, correctly attaching 10 years of attachments to roughly 200K issues in about an hour.

-wc

2 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2013

feel free to email me direct to discuss further

-wc

just search for 'william crighton'

1 vote
Kiran s December 2, 2013

William did you have to parse the CSV file when you imported into Jira from clearquest? How did you import 200K issues? I believe you might have to edit the CSV file for newline, dropdownlist etc data correct?

DId you guys map the CQ data 1-2-1 or did you have to add any custom mapping? Any alternative for attaching the files?

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

Have a look at this document: Data Migration from ClearQuest. It is not very specific but it can give you an idea fo how to aproach the migration.

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2013

I would like to advise you to review the page about : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+import+attachment+using+CSV

The error message could probably related to some invisible characters or empty line, you should open it in a text editor to double check.

mnpiad March 7, 2013

So all the attachment files from CQ needs to be downloaded first and save at this location ? i have 10000+ records already in CQ and many of the records have more than 1 attachments and if this needs to be done manually than its going to be very tough first to download the attachments for each record and move to the jira folder and than update the csv file for each record

is my assumption correct ? or am i missing something ?

Suggest an answer