How to import and update records without redundancies?

Todd Palermo January 12, 2018

Hello experts,

Let me start by saying I am just learning Jira and I am in a business role that is unrelated to software or computer languages.

My company has a Lotus Notes DB of problems. Once these problems are created, my department begins to track them and do what we do to ultimately close these problems. This is currently done in an MS Access DB that we are leaving for Jira.

I would like to export a few fields of the Lotus Notes DB and import into Jira so that we can manage these problems. In order to do this daily without creating redundant issues, I import these with my own Issue Key. I use a unique control number to track problems in other DB's.

The problem is that I have a few different types of tracking numbers. They looks like AAAA-000000, AAAA-A00000, A0A000000000. I have run Excel macros to strip the letters from the key, but this isn't an ideal solution. I would rather have Jira keep track of the key, but I am not sure how to import updated data without redundancies.

Is there a way to import data and match records based on an alphanumeric field instead of an Issue Key that is only a number?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2018

Hi Todd,

You would need to use the issue key:

In order to Your CSV file needs to contain a column that during the import wizard is mapped to Issue Key.

You may be able to achieve this functionality if you write a custom importer by adapting the instructions from Writing a custom importer using the JIRA importers add-on.

Cheers,

Branden

Todd Palermo January 15, 2018

Hi Branden,

Thanks for the information. I think this might be outside of my skill set, but I will give it a try.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer