How to import a workflow file?

Tam Finlay January 26, 2018

Hi all,

I have a workflow file from another Jira project that I have exported as a .jwb file. I want to import this file into another project as I want to mirror 95% of the workflow and it'll be far faster to start with my other workflow file than to build the whole thing again from scratch.

I can't however find a way to import the file? I am assuming as I have the option to export, then I can surely import somehow?

I am on Jira cloud if that makes a difference.

5 answers

8 votes
Todd Foley June 2, 2020

another critical import/export feature not available on the cloud... color me not surprised.

Nick Read July 16, 2020

Is this still not possible? What possible reason could there be it not being?

Like # people like this
Henjo Völker November 23, 2022

krabs-money.jpg

I mean I don't know how they could possibly profit from this ridiculously awful UX, but I'm pretty sure they do, somehow.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Suzanne Raphael March 24, 2023

HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED???

3 votes
MNeverOff August 31, 2021

Still not possible in August 31st 2021.. Deplorable

Celine Hau August 31, 2021

LOL

1 vote
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018
Tam Finlay January 26, 2018

Ahhhh! Thanks. It seems the import functionality is blocked on Cloud. I'll try the workaround. 

Thanks very much!

Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

Great, good luck with the workaround then. Happy to help.

Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2018

Where you able to achieve your goal with that workaround @Tam Finlay?

If so, would be great if you mark that post as the answer to your question here.

0 votes
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2018

Go to Administration > Issues > Workflows and select Import > Import Workflow on the upper right side of the screen.

image.png

Marcus Heimfeld July 3, 2018

Is it possible to import a workflow from cloud to a hosted version? Meaning: I have a flow that has been created on a cloud version. Now I want to import it into a hosted version. Will there be problems? Will it work like a charm?

Abidin Ali September 9, 2018

Please help, 2018-09-10_1115.png

Different menu on my cloud host.

Like Celine Hau likes this
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2018

As described, it is currently not possible to directly import a custom workflow on JIRA cloud. This is why your menu differs @Abidin Ali. You have to use the workaround or re-create the workflow manually. 

Like Abidin Ali likes this
Robert Cuyugan May 15, 2019

Wow... I don't understand why Atlassian would even offer an export function yet not the import. The workaround seems to be more work, probably would take less time to re-create the WF manually.

Like # people like this
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2019

The i/e works fine from JIRA server to JIRA server. The functionality simply wasn't designed to work with JIRA cloud. Probably because JIRA cloud didn't exist by the time this feature was initially implemented.

AllenH September 22, 2020

Hi @Andreas 
I had the same problem here.
It seems the fastest way to make it work is to upload a workflow onto the market place and download in onto our cloud Jira workflow.

But the application is so daunting and troublesome LOL

It demands to have a Privacy URL which is a problem for me since I have no intention to make it a product whatsoever. It is just for me to import my workflow LOL

Why are you guys making things so hard to end user?

Like # people like this
Matthew Tsugawa February 5, 2021

Not only is it a cumbersome hack (workaround is too generous) how long are we supposed to wait for it to be "reviewed" when it's not even an app? So far I'm measuring the time in days. Can anyone tell me how long they've had to wait just to get a workflow up in order to download it from the Marketplace?

Like Celine Hau likes this
Celine Hau February 22, 2021

HOLY CRAP WHAT A NIGHTMARE

Like # people like this
Eric Smith November 17, 2021

I should stop being surprised at how the simplest things are basically impossible in Jira.  Insane.

Like # people like this
Bill Gunkel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

2024 and this is still a cumbersome hassle.  After submitting my workflow to the marketplace, and waiting for over a week for approval, it was further delayed because my "description was nondescript".

Suggest an answer