How to implement the "For Each / Smart Value" feature of Cloud in Jira Data Center

vincenzo_spatafora April 30, 2024

Dear All,

who would know as how to implement in Jira Data Center (I use version 9.12.5) the steps as described in here (applicable only for Jira Cloud):

(Automation rule to send single email for all issues per assignee due next week | Automation for Jira | Atlassian Documentation

Thanks in advance,

Vincenzo.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

hello @vincenzo_spatafora ~ unfortunately this isn't yet available for DC.  I would suggest up voting the Suggestion here:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-749 

vincenzo_spatafora April 30, 2024

Thank You @Laurie Sciutti for letting me know.

I will vote for sure.

But in the meantime, do you see a way out that can be implemented in DC?

Kind Regards,

Vincenzo.

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

@vincenzo_spatafora ~ can you detail exactly what you're trying to do?  Maybe there is an alternative approach...

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2024

Hi @vincenzo_spatafora 

Adding to Laurie's suggestions...

I believe the only workarounds at this time are checking the Atlassian Marketplace for an app or using a saved filter.  There are two ways to do the saved filter approach:

1) Create a saved filter which returns the issues due in the next week which are assigned to the currentUser().  Ask your team members to subscribe to that on a weekly cadence.

2) Create the same saved filter, and use a scheduled trigger rule with Lookup Issues to identify the distinct assignees with JQL, and send them an email with a link to the filter.  When each person opens the linked filter, it will contain their list of issues.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
vincenzo_spatafora May 2, 2024

Hi @Bill Sheboy, @Laurie Sciutti thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried your "saved filter" way out and already it helps.

Is there a way to send the email to each of the assignee with the list of their own issues (being assigneed to them) ?

So, the assignee wouldn't get the list of the issues being assigneed to other users.

The "For Each / Smart Value" feature of Cloud would have done the job for us.

Thanks, Vincenzo.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2024

Vincenzo, the answer is, "no, that is not possible with an unknown number of assignees".

As Laurie already described, the feature allowing iteration over the distinct assignees does not exist in Jira Data Center automation rules.

If you have a small number of users (less than 20 people), another workaround would be to test for each user's issues to send them an email.  For example,

Rules like this can be difficult to maintain and so they are prone to errors.

vincenzo_spatafora May 3, 2024

Thank you @Bill Sheboy.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards, Vincenzo. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer