How to implement "State" of a Project?

Tim McCrimmon January 16, 2015

I am trying to use JIRA and Confluence to do Product Management (management of development, marketing, sales budget kinds of things). It's great for this, but need to define the state of a project. When we create a new product it starts in concept, moves to plan, moves to availability and ultimately to end of life(EOL). I would like to either create a special project type for this (and associated workflow) or simply add fields to one of the existing project templates to manually set the state. Either way, I will need to get the state information over into Confluence as a key element of the product executive dashboard. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Tim McCrimmon January 19, 2015

Thanks Joe. So this means I need to install the development tools and build a new project type to add to Jira. Ugh. OK. Time to dust off the old programming books. lol.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2015

I suggest the special project with a custom issue type and workflow option. I would also capture, in a custom field, the date associated with the move to the new state.

Suggest an answer