How to implement "State" of a Project?

I am trying to use JIRA and Confluence to do Product Management (management of development, marketing, sales budget kinds of things). It's great for this, but need to define the state of a project. When we create a new product it starts in concept, moves to plan, moves to availability and ultimately to end of life(EOL). I would like to either create a special project type for this (and associated workflow) or simply add fields to one of the existing project templates to manually set the state. Either way, I will need to get the state information over into Confluence as a key element of the product executive dashboard. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Pitt Community Champion Jan 16, 2015

I suggest the special project with a custom issue type and workflow option. I would also capture, in a custom field, the date associated with the move to the new state.

Thanks Joe. So this means I need to install the development tools and build a new project type to add to Jira. Ugh. OK. Time to dust off the old programming books. lol.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,614 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you