How to implement large KanBan board in JIRA

Mark Brown November 25, 2016

We have been using JIRA for Scrum but have moved to KanBan. The physical board that we are using in the meantime is very large and I would like to implement this in JIRA. When I create a KanBan project and board in JIRA the columns become too small. I would also like to use swimlanes to split across our teams.
I have tried other tools like LeanKit and Kanbanize which allow for both many columns (including split columns for context) and swimlanes. Is there a way that I can implement this in JIRA? I have attached photos of our physical board so that you can see the context of my requirement.

Thanks

Mark

IMG_20161125_085354_resized_20161125_035624887.jpgIMG_20161125_085406_resized_20161125_035623499.jpgIMG_20161125_085346_resized_20161125_035624233.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Magdalena Zacharczuk December 1, 2016

Hello Mark,

JIRA will allow you to incorporate several projects on your Kanban board (you can do that via board configuration). Once you aggregate projects on the board you can use the swimlanes to display epics and/or projects. Still, the result may not look as great as on your physical board. 

One way of solving this problem could be to maintain both a physical board and an JIRA board simultaneously. Keeping the physical board would resolve the scaling & visibility issue; reproducing your board in JIRA at the same time would give you all the benefits of tracking issues digitally.

To easily keep both your boards in sync you may want to try the Agile Cards for JIRA add-on (heads-up: I represent Spartez, the vendor behind this product). Agile Cards will allow you to flexibly design your card layout and print single or multiple issues at a time - whatever suits your needs best. To "go back" from your physical Kanban board to JIRA all you need to do is take a photo of your board and upload it. Agile Cards will scan the photo and automatically update your board in JIRA. Please note, that the scanner does not support syncing swimlanes, but we’re working on this functionality and it’s coming up soon.

Hope this helps.

Magdalena

Suggest an answer