How to immediately resolve issues upon creation in onDemand JIRA

Bruno Litman February 10, 2014

We have a scenario for logging issues after they are resolved and I am trying to keep this process as simple as possible.

I have a workflow where the item is created in the "Closed" status and all that is required is a summary and a description (and the project of course). However, when adding a post-function to set the Resolution, i am still getting all issues in "Unresolved" state. Is this documented as the expect behavior because the transition is the "Create" transition?

As we are hosted onDemand, there is no access to scripting to work around this issue.

Thank you for any insight or input

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bruno Litman February 24, 2014

Upon further research, I stumbled upon this paragraph in the documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-SpecialCases

Which specifies that in order to set the Resolution during the "create" transition, you must add an extra post function AFTER your "Update Issue Field" post function for the Resolution field. That extra post-function is "Store Issue".

I have succesfully implemented this in our workflow and it works as advertised.

Samuel Wilkinson June 4, 2018

Thank you for posting this! I needed the same function, and this works perfectly. 

Another option is to create a transition from "Closed" to "Closed" and use Automation to run that transition upon creation. This was my hack before I implemented the above instructions. That transition was more handy as a manual way to set the resolution while I was troubleshooting this ordeal.

0 votes
Bruno Litman February 24, 2014

For now I have to leave those issues "Unresolved" until I can either

1/ find a workflow option that sets the resolution upon creation

2/ create a new step in my workflow just for this purpose, which is obviously not the preferred solution

0 votes
Bruno Litman February 18, 2014

I have added the resolution field to the create screen and selected the appropriate default. However the resolution field is still not updated upon creation of the issue.. Is there any reason for this not to work as expected?!?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2014

Yes, it probably is the post-function, it behaves oddly on "create"

Would it be possible to simply add the resolution field to the "create" screen for these scenarios - Jira always sets a resolution if you put it on screen, so it would work (especially if you set the default appropriately)

Suggest an answer