How to hide other service desks

Mikkel Rostock December 1, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring the customer portal

We have many customers, each with their own help desk project. In the help center I don't want them to see other help desks than their own and our general ones (eg. Support Help Desk) under "Popular".

4 answers

0 votes
Pauline Monroy December 26, 2018

My projects follow the same structure as @Mikkel Rostock. I just cant seem to find an option called Request Security. 

I was constantly facing the same issue that customers I add to a specific JIRA Service Desk Project were able to view other Service Desk Projects & place requests via navigation from the Help Centre. 

After thorough checking, I discovered my other projects had Customer Permission (Project Settings> Customer Permissions) settings, under Who can access the portal and send requests to <name> Service Desk? that were set to 'Anyone with an account on <spacename>' which I changed to 'Customers my team adds to the project'.

It now works as I intended. Probably if they made this aspect more clear and direct in the documentation, it would help. Took me a while to figure out where I went wrong and ran into articles that it was a bug. 

Kundan Mukherjee June 24, 2020

There is an add-on named "Ultimate Theming" which allows you to hide the unwanted projects from the service desk portal. If you want give it a try.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216144/ultimate-theming-for-jira-service-desk?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2015

Hello Mikkel,

You did well creating different Service Desk projects according to your customers organization. In order to your Coca Cola users don't see the Lego project and don't raise issues in different projects, you can restrict your project as described in the following documentation:

0 votes
Mikkel Rostock December 2, 2015

Hi Jamie,

I meant that I created a Service Desk project for each of them.

If this is not the approach, how do we go about managing multiple customers (as in clients or company accounts – eg. “Coca Cola”, “LEGO”, “United Airlines”), each with a number of users?

Is there a better way to set things up so we can maintain an overview of issues for each individual company account?

The overall structure is something like this:

• Coca Cola
    • Users:
      • John
      • Frank
      • Carrie
    • Issues:
      • Issue 1
      • Issue 2
      • Issue 3
  • LEGO
    • Users:
      • Kim
      • Charles
    • Issues:
      • Issue 1
      • Issue 2
      • Issue 3
  • United Airlines
    • Users:
      • Peter
      • Johanna
    • Issues:
      • Issue 1
      • Issue 2
      • Issue 3

/Mikkel

0 votes
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2015

Hi, Mikkel.

When you say 'each with their own help desk project', do you mean they have their own account to access the project or did you create a Service Desk project for each of them?

If the former, the Service Desk customers shouldn't be able to access the requests created by other customers, unless they have access to JIRA or are added as participants.

If the latter, this is a different approach than Service Desk was created for, but you can prevent customers to access other projects. In the project administration page there's a 'Request Security' option. There you can make that project only accessible to customers in a list. Then add to the list the customers that should access it.

Let me know if I was able to answer your question.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

Suggest an answer