How to hide fields using advanced (JQL) search?

Moshe Hajaj September 9, 2012

Hello,

Is it possible to hide fields (custom & system fields) for search purposes. Like, if the user started typing "project = ACME", then the fields that are not available for this project won't be suggested at all?

At the moment with all our 10 projects and dozens of custom fields, it came to be impossible to use the search, either it is the simple one or the JQL.

Anyone knows how to achieve that in JIRA v5.1?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2012

I don't think there's a way to do this - the whole point of JQL is that it's powerful and can search anything. The project clause could be used anywhere in the search, and doesn't even have to be used at all.

I suspect you'd need to pull the whole of JQL apart and rewrite it to make this work.

I'd train your users to use the simple search instead, and think about how you limit your custom field contexts. Simple search DOES do the "is field valid for this project/issue type" limiting automatically, so I think your only option is to use that.

0 votes
Krzysztof Skoropada [Deviniti]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2012

Hi,

What you can do is set Search Template to None in customfield's configuration page - will not be searchable but this will affect for any project.

Moshe Hajaj September 9, 2012

The thing is that 80% of my projects are prety slim, but those 20% have a huge number of custom fields. Putting "none" in their configuration will make these projects un-searchable. I don't want to cancel the ability of these projects' users to search their projects, create filters & gadgets. and so on.

Suggest an answer