How to hide field "Issue Type" from the Create screen

Is it possible to hide the field Issue Type from the Create screen?

(We want the customer has to create an issue with exactly one issue type. Because there are many issuetypes in this list, we thought to hide this field and the issue will be created with the default issuetype (which we have set = default).

I have deleted it in the configuration of this screen, but when I cretae an issue it still appears.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 votes

Not without code. Jira needs to ask for the issue type because it's structural - it determines most of the schemes that the rest of the process will be using.

There's no way to restrict users to issue types, so you end up with no option to do this sort of thing.

You could try hacking the screen in the core code, or mess around with javascript, but there's nothing you can do off-the-shelf.

Hi Juliane,

If your customers are ok with clicking a link to create an issue you may want to try out this URL:

https://<JIRA-Base-URL>/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=<project-id>&issuetype=<issue-type-id>

where:

<JIRA-Base-URL> is the, yep, JIRA Base URL to your instance

<project-id> is the ID for the project you want to create the issue in

<issue-type-id> is the ID for the Issue Type you want them to use

The URL will take the user to a create screen where Project and Issue Type fields are read-only.

There are some more info about Creating Issues via direct HTML links here

Would this work for you?

// Svante

and with this approach you can prefill as many fields as you like with the URL. It is all described in the provided link

0 votes

You may also try using an Issue Collector instead of the Create Issue button.

This way you can specifiy the Issue Type you want previously and your users will have a customized create issue screen just for this.

Hope this helps

Also, you can try removing other issue types from your 'Issue Type Scheme' if possible.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,932 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot