How to hide closed Epics from Kanban view?

Földes László August 12, 2015

In the Scrum view if I mark an Epic as "Done", hides the Epic from the left Epic panel (by setting the "Epic Status" as "Done").

However these Epics are still on a Kanban view (of the same project), I want to hide them (and all its tasks) as well.

How can I achieve this? Can I apply a filter for this? The "Epic Status" field does not exist for Task type issues.

5 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2015

The question is, do you mind if the Done Epics disappear from your Backlog View as well?

If that's acceptable, just modify your board's filter to add something like (Issuetype != Epic) OR (issuetype = Epic AND epicStatus != Done)

This way, the board will only show Epics that are not Done. This won't hide the issues belonging to those epics, but since you're on Cloud, you can't install the Scriptrunner plugin that would grant you sweet JQL functions.

But if you don't want to hide the Done epics from the backlog as well, I guess you should use a quick filter that hides Done epics and Done tasks, or change your swimlane config to push back Done epics at the bottom, out of the way.

Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

As part of the agile board filter we've added workflow statuses and couple of filters on the epic panel. Its easy to check which epics are in Done workflow status and have all issues closed. That way we'll be able to determine which epics should be "Marked as Done" and removed from the list.

02.Backlog.jpg

For any other feature request drop me an email on support@extensi.io or join the discussion here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-discussions/Epic-Version-Panels-filtering-features/td-p/629901#M209

James Dembkoski February 1, 2018

The Agile board filter looks good, but am I alone in finding it crazy that something as simple as 'don't show an epic that has all its tasks completed and is closed out' needs all these alternate band-aid solutions, or a purchase from the App Store marketplace?

Like # people like this
Ghazal Jabbari January 24, 2019

No you are not, same here.

Like Phil Shimmin likes this
0 votes
Esben Gaarsmand August 3, 2017

Another approach would be to use labels like "closed" and then ignore all issues and epics with that label... 

0 votes
Wayne George June 29, 2017

I know I am coming into this discussion very late, but I was having the same problem. The code below took the closed epics out of the Backlog View:

... AND ((Issuetype != Epic) OR (Issuetype = Epic AND status != Done)) ...

I tested this with both open and closed issues attached to the Epic. The Epic remained off the list. I think this has implications for planning, in that an epic probably should not be closed, until all of the attached issues are closed as well.

I hope this helps

0 votes
Földes László August 12, 2015

I have put this query as a sub-filter but sadly it does not hide any of the epics (one of them is hidden in Scrum view, as its Epic Status is Done).

To test the query, I modified it as: issuetype = Epic AND epicStatus != "To Do" and it still displayed all Epics...

Test #2, the filter is only: "issuetype != Epic" and Epics still appear (as swimlanes, those are based on Epics)

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2015

Seems like these Epics are more stubborn than I thought. If your swimlanes are based on Epics, then yeah I guess the Epics HAVE to be there. Otherwise, where would be the issues? Same for the backlog view. If you have issues still the board that belong to an Epic, then the Epic will be shown. You need to find a way to hide the issues belonging to the Epics as well as the Epics themselves. What do these issues belonging to a Done Epic have in common? They're all in status Done as well? If so, hide the Done issues too. I suggest a Quick filter, since you will want to toggle them back on when you close your sprint.

Földes László August 13, 2015

"then yeah I guess the Epics HAVE to be there. Otherwise, where would be the issues? " Same place, where issues are, when you watch them in Scrum view :-) I just want the Kanban view behave exactly the same as the Scrum view, nothing more.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2015

My point is that when your issues are in an Epic swimlane, it makes sense that the Epic stays there, even if only for the sake of containing your tasks. The kanban view cannot behave the same way as the backlog. That's why I say that if you want to hide an Epic in your Kanban view, you must also hide the issues it contains. All of them.

Földes László August 16, 2015

I understand what you wrote but this behavior is plain bad. "The kanban view cannot behave the same way as the backlog", not the backlog, but the Scrum View, and why not? There is an Epic Status field for the Epic, why can't a view (any view) honor it? If I hide an Epic, do not show its tasks, if I hide tasks, and an Epic would be empty, do not show the Epic. Dead easy. A View should work from a dataset that is available to the View. And a filter should define what gets into the dataset. I think I join all the JIRA users that try to fight the baked-in logics with JQL, and lose. Or I migrate the company to Targetprocess and have built in hierarchy, timelines and whatnot :-)

Suggest an answer