How to hide an issue type from a user group?

David A March 9, 2016

Hi

We would like to have 2 different issue types for reporting bugs in our JIRA project. Internal team members would raise 'Bugs', which are against unreleased software.  External users would raise 'Trouble reports' that are against released software.

I don't want the external users to be offered issue type 'Bug' when they create an issue. 

How would i do this?  Should I use a field configuration scheme?

Best regards

David

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

There's no way to do this natively - if you can create an issue in a project, then you can select any of the issue types in that project.  Consider splitting it into two projects (keeping both on the same boards if you're using JIRA Software)

There are some tricks you can use to prevent the users creating the wrong type, but that approach annoys them because they get to fill in all their data and then aren't able to complete it and have to start again.

You should be able to do it with Behaviours from the Script Runner, and there are javascript tricks you can do that remove options from dropdowns, but there are many routes to "create issue" and you can't protect them all.

David A March 9, 2016

Thanks for your answer.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2016

Another option would be to put a validator on the Create Issue transition of the workflow which checks the group of the user and the issue type and fails if a user from the "external" group tries to create "Bug" issue. They will still be able to see the "Bug" in the dropdown but will not be able to create issues effectively.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Yes, that's probably the neatest one of the "block after they start creating the wrong issue type" tricks.

David A March 17, 2016

Boris, you suggested putting a validator on the Create Issue transition which checks the group of the user and the issue type.  This is new to me.  I tried creating a validator in my workflow but I seem to only have the option to validate against a permission, not a user group/issue type. How would I do the latter?

Michiel Schuijer August 29, 2018

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

It's two years later after the last discussion I see here on this topic and I would like to know if the possibility to hide an issue type at creation of a ticket has been made possible via Script Runner since then?

I know there's a simple to use and cheap plugin available (Issue Type Filters) to do this with but that is yet another plugin to get approved, buy and install and pray it gets updated in future versions so would really like to avoid getting another one if at all possible.

I would think this could be made possible from Script Runner, maybe a feature request if not yet implemented?

Thanks

Suggest an answer