How to hide a transition tab from reporter when already there has been put a condition :- only reporter can execute this

ashleyg July 9, 2014

Actually i have some requirement wherein i have added "only developers,administrators and reporters can execute this transition" under workflow condition for that transition. Now keeping this as it is because it serves important purpose with respect to listener i would like that reporters shouldn't be able to see this transition tab in the issue.

I know once condition has been added they will definitely get to see but that is what i would like to hide from them through some means.

Is it possible? I need it urgently.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

The way to "hide" a transition is to set the condition so the reporter cannot use it.

You're asking to hide it and not hide it at the same time. It's one or the other, not possible to do both.

ashleyg July 9, 2014

Actually the problem is that when we configured listener for automatic transition from state A to B to be fired only on issue commenting by reporter when in state A then since we had set condition that (only developer and administrator can execute it) so despite listener configurd for this auto transition wouldn't work in case of reporter (who is not amongst developer/administrator). So to make this happen we had to also include condition that reporter can also execute this transition. But then due to the way jir aworks the reporter can also see this transition tab on his screen which we don't want because we just want complete auto transition without the knowledge of reporter that he can do that.

Please suggest me your solution on this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

There isn't one. Either the reporter has the right to do the transtion, or they do not.

You'd need to hack core code in the workflow engine to change this.

Or come up with some other way of doing the transition, something that runs as another user. But it wouldn't be a listener.

ashleyg July 9, 2014

Could you probably suggest me something because i am not familiar with codes and coding.

Also from your comments i can understand that you have good understanding of my question. So its better if you couldonly suggest me something....anything

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2014

I certainly wouldn't recommend messing around with the core code unless you're an experienced coder

I don't really see that there's a problem letting the reporter see the transition to be honest. If they can effectively trigger it automatically, what's the issue letting them do it manually as well?

The best workaround I can think of is to use Jelly escalation to do it. You can run the jelly script as an admin user. But it would be delayed, not instant - even if you ran it once a minute, there's up to 59 seconds where an issue would be in the "wrong" status.

ashleyg July 9, 2014

And how to do that jelly escalation? Please explain the process

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2014
ashleyg July 9, 2014

Hi Nic,

I tried to go through the documentation but i couldn't find stuffs exactly meeting my requrements as i'm not that skilled at jira. So it would be very kind of if you could help me with that.

Also one more query i just now found some thing related to script post function which includes auto tansition of status based on condition. If you could help me on this by relating it with my requirements,if possible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2014

I'm not sure I can help you beyond that escalation doc, it says everything you need - define a filter, build a script that can do the transtion, run it regularly.

Which script function are you talking about? Not that it will help you - a post function is running as the person who triggered the original transtion, which means your condition will need to allow "reporter"

Suggest an answer