How to hide Unresolved from the list of Resolution options when resolving a ticket?

Philip Schlesinger April 21, 2015

Hi all,

We have JIRA 6.2.3 w/ JIRA Agile using out-of-the-box Agile Kanban workflow.  When we click the Resolve Issue button, one of the listed Resolution options is "Unresolved".  That seems counter-intuitive.  How do we remove "Unresolved" from the list of options when resolving a ticket?

Here are the resolutions listed in Administration > Issues > Resolutions:

image2015-4-22 11:21:58.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2015

Actually, I think someone may have broken your JIRA.

Follow Gabrielle's link and look for "unresolved" on the list of resolutions.  If it is there, then you have a big problem, which needs fixing.  If it is not, then great, but we'll need to work out how you're actually getting offered "unresolved", because you should never see it there.

Confirm which it is, and we can follow on...

Philip Schlesinger April 22, 2015

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] , @Jose Castro , @Gabrielle Bautista [ACP-JA] , We want tickets which haven't been resolved yet (Backlog, Open, In Progress) to be listed as Resolution: Unresolved. When resolving a ticket, the user is given a required drop-down Select List to record the Resolution. One of those choices is "Unresolved". Per Nic's request and Gabrielle's suggestion, I've edited my question to post a screenshot of the Resolutions listed in the admin section. Unresolved is listed there. When I click the Delete link for "Unresolved", JIRA reports that only three issues have the Resolution "Unresolved" and those need a replacement Resolution. I tracked down those three issues and re-opened and re-resolved them with a different Resolution. I then deleted the "Unresolved" Resolution option. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2015

Excellent! Jira will still display "unresolved" for issues which have an empty resolution, so you get to keep that too :-)

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2015

You can edit your own "Resolution" values in the "Issues > Issue Resolutions" admin screen

0 votes
jose_castro April 21, 2015

Hello Phillip,

Do you only want to remove the Unresolved option period or just when Resolving issues through Agile?

If you would like to remove it period see [Configuring Workflow|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow] on how can you remove the transition from the workflow.

If it's just Agile see [Transitioning an Issue|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Transitioning+an+Issue]  for the available options to map JIRA workflow statuses to the board. 

Thanks,
Ramiro Castro
Support Engineer
Atlassian

Suggest an answer