How to hide Time Tracking for a certain user?

Sathish T May 16, 2018

Hello!

I'm using Jira Cloud for Bug tracking and project tracking. We have an option to log the hours and we can allow the developers to log their time against their issues and so the Project Lead. 

We do also share this Jira Cloud for our customers/clients for creating issues, tracking the issue status etc. But I don't want our customers/clients to see our work log, the time spent and the estimates. Meaning I need to hide the Time Tracking option itself for our customers/clients. Is there a way to achieve this? Can someone advise on this, please?

P.S: At present, Hiding Time Tracking option has been set for all users/groups. 

3 answers

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

Hi @Sathish T,

As far as I know, hiding time tracking is not an out of the box feature in Jira. If you are using the Hide time tracking for Jira Cloud app for this, the visibility of work logs is controlled by the Work on issues permission.

So, if my guess is right about your implementation, make sure your customers don't have the Work on issues permission in the relevant projects.

Sathish T May 16, 2018

Hi, @Walter Buggenhout.

We can change the permission for Work on Issues(Ability to log work done against an issue) and this will hide the Log Work option and so the users(Customer/Client) will not have access to Log/edit/update/delete the Work Log.

But still, the customer/client can view the Time Tracking features, for every issue/ticket. They can view

• Estimated,
  • Remaining, and
  • Logged.

Such hours can also be viewed under Reports --> Time Tracking Report. 

And this is too bad to showcase the business; Maybe a simple plugin/feature like "Hide time tracking for selected users" will help a lot(It's just my idea!) Yours thoughts, please! 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

Hi @Sathish T,

Just my 2 cents:

• for the use case as you describe it, have a look at this marketplace app and see how far it can get you.
  • or maybe more radical: consider Jira Service Desk to collaborate/communicate with your customers around issue tracking. The Service Desk interface does not expose any internal information to your customers.
Like Santosh Majety likes this
Sathish T May 16, 2018

Hi, @Walter Buggenhout: Thanks a lot, the app worked well. I guess I can manage with this as of now. 

However, the client/customer can still view the hours logged under Reports --> Time Tracking Report. A better solution needs to found for a long-term... :) 

0 votes
Heiko Gerlach January 29, 2020

For Jira Server, have a look at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.accxia.jira.plugins.workscouncil.WorksCouncil/server/overview

it just has been released to the Market Place and probably it helps to achieve what you want.

BR

Heiko PO@Accxia

0 votes
Sathish T May 22, 2018

The only option to hide the Time Tracking in Jira Cloud is to install an app from the marketplace. However, the user can still view the all the reported hours in the "Report" menu.

Suggest an answer