How to hde a field using REST API

mirek paszkowski November 8, 2017

I cannot find how to hide a field using the REST API - is it possible?

Looking through JIRA documentation, a field can be hidden when using the JIRA application, as below, but we want to configure JIRA project solely via REST API.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/specifying-field-behavior-776636443.html

The idea behind this is to return results that match a sequence or one or more characters.  This would require a jql search pattern with a leading wild card character - which is not supported.

~ '*a*' which is not supported.

The hidden field will have the same contents as a field it mirrors but with some leading character.(s)  For example

userId = "admin"

hidden_userId ="Xadmin"

Currently results that contain "m" in userId cannot be obtained unless the userId starts with "m" or "M".

Having the hidden mirrored field, we can fool the search by using the starting character sequence followed by the character we are searching for;

i.e. the  jql would be:

hidden_userId ~ 'X*m*'

which finds instances of userId containing "m" in any position.

1 answer

0 votes
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2018

Hi Mirek,

To hide a field in JIRA, you will need to edit the Field Configuration. For now, you can only edit the Field Configuration from JIRA UI. As per ACJIRA-386, there is no REST API endpoint to edit Field Configuration.

I hope that this helps. 

Cheers,
Moga

Suggest an answer