How to have different Custom Field values for different projects?

Jirong Hu January 28, 2015

Hi All

I have a custom field called "Request Type" which is a dropdown list contain values "Business, Process, Technology". Now a new project wants some different values. How can I achieve that? When I create a new Field Configuration, I can only change if it's Required or not, not the values.

Thanks

Jirong

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2015

Hey Jirong,

This can be done easily when creating more than 1 field configuration scheme context (this is not a field configuration!).

1. Go to Custom Fields page, find "Request Type" field and click on hog > Configure.
  2. Click on Edit Configuration (next to "Applicable contexts for scheme"), which has already the options you have chosen for that first project (Business, Process, Technology).
  3. Now make sure to that under "Choose applicable context" you have the relevant project/s selected.
  4. Click Modify.
  5. Now click on "Add new context", fill out the relevant fields and choose the new project that should have different fields.
  6. Click Add.
  7. You will find 2 configuration for same field now. Just click on Edit Options for the second configuration and insert the values you want there.

More info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-contextContext

Regards,

Peter

Jirong Hu January 29, 2015

Thanks, Peter, I create a new Context for this custom field and it works.

Jirong Hu January 29, 2015

I notice something else. I create a new context for the field "Person To Notify" to set some default values for a project A. It behaves like this: when I create a new issue, if by default the project A is selected in the new submit screen, the "Person to Notify" are populated with these default values. At this moment, if I change the project to B, these values are still there which is not right. If the project is set to Project B when the screen is launched, then change to A, these fields are not populated, this is not right. I notice the default project is always set to the last issue I submitted.

0 votes
Vipin Jain October 9, 2019

you need to define a new schema to handle this.

0 votes
Philippe Aubin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2015

You only choice is to recreate a field named the same with new value. 

Vipin Jain October 9, 2019

Thats correct. and it worked for me in past.

Suggest an answer