How to have a template for the Description field

Jirong Hu August 10, 2015

We have a workflow, the users want to have a standard template for the Description field as below. How can I achieve this?

h4. +Person responsible / On Call :+
{color:blue}<<Please state the person who worked on the issue or the person who was on call at the time this issue occured>>{color}

h4. +Problem Description :+
{color:blue}<<Please describe the problem >>{color}

3 answers

1 vote
Alex Reed November 15, 2018

I found a plugin that might fix your problem. It helps to populate description and other text fields in jira issues - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219597/field-templates-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

0 votes
Ta Minh Thuy May 20, 2021

Hi guys,

No need to use add-on in this case. All you need is creating a custom field name with the same name, Description and in the Field configuration, you render the field to make it wiki :)

It will looks exactly the system field Description :) From this newly created custom field, you can add template as you wish.

I did it!

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2015

Get the JEditor plugin. This adds an HTML renderer and allows you to pre-populate issues with an HTML template for text fields (description, comments or custom text fields). It also adds a toolbar, so formatting is easier.

Jirong Hu August 11, 2015

I create a template as follows to prepopulate the Description field, but the Description field is displaying this source code, not rendering. What should the template look like? h4. +Person responsible / On Call :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Problem Description :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Error Message :+ {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Resolution :+ h6. Root Cause: {color:blue}<>{color} h6. Steps taken to resolve: {color:blue}<>{color} h6. Links : {color:blue}<>{color} h4. +Downstream Impact :+ {color:blue}<>{color}

Like Clément Dufour likes this
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2015

Make sure that in your Field Configuration for this project / issue type, you selected the JEditor renderer. That will change the format of the field to HTML. The easiest way to make a template is to go backwards from that: Use the toolbars to build the template like you want, switch the field to HTML view (there's a tool for that in the toolbar) and use this HTML as your template.

Mary Slocum October 17, 2018

Hello,

I have a template working in Jira v7.6.6 for my Description and it works fine with HTML. But, is there a way to not use HTML and keep it in plain text.

For example, my simple template is:

As a...

I need...

So that...

Thanks,

Mary

Suggest an answer