How to have a field in one screen as required and in another as optional?

How to have a field in one screen as required and in another as optional?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

In workflow screens, you can use "Field Required" validator.

Thank you. I am not sure. Maybe an example helps. I would like to have the field "due date" mandatory for tasks, but only for them. Currently I get error messages when I create other issues, even if "due date" is not assigned to the screen. I would not know how to solve this with workflow screens.

If you want to make it mandatory only for certain issuetypes, you need to look at field configurastion schemes. Not screens.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour#SpecifyingFieldBehaviour-Managingmultiplefieldconfigurations

What are you asking can be achieved by ScriptRunner (groovy, free) or JJupin (mine, commercial, a simple scripting language) or some other plugins. There are countless plugins containing validators, conditions and postfunctions, just search to see if one suits your needs.

I maanged to solve the problem with field configuration schemes. Thank you!!!

How did you solve this with a field configuration schemes? I've been rereading the docco and I still see no way to make a field required in one screen and option in another.

Steffens solution is like this: a field configuration for tasks where due date field is required and another field configuration for all other issuetypes where it is not required.

So it is actually not in different screens but for different issue type.

Rob, could you manage with Udo's answer?

@Steffen2 if you can elaborate I would be grateful  on @Udo Brand's answer. 

I only want a feild to be manadatory at a Epic level 

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jul 26, 2017

Epics are an issue type so the field configuration based on different issue types is the cleanist way to go. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 14.54.38.pngCorrect me if I am wrong @Joe Pitt at the following set up under "Feild COnfiguration Schemes"  so if I add an issue type  Epic and ammend as necessary that will solve my problem?

Yes. I usually have a different field configuration for each issue type in a project. For instance, 'steps to recreate' is needed for bugs, but not for tasks. 

Thank so much Joe much appreciated. I did some major changes and then it keeps asking for my mandatory feild on Tasks, driving me bananas. 

You need to change the field configuration on tasks to not flag as required

Okay thank you @Joe Pitt will try finish changes today. 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

72 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you