How to have a field in one screen as required and in another as optional?

Steffen June 16, 2013
How to have a field in one screen as required and in another as optional?

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2013

In workflow screens, you can use "Field Required" validator.

Steffen June 17, 2013

Thank you. I am not sure. Maybe an example helps. I would like to have the field "due date" mandatory for tasks, but only for them. Currently I get error messages when I create other issues, even if "due date" is not assigned to the screen. I would not know how to solve this with workflow screens.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

If you want to make it mandatory only for certain issuetypes, you need to look at field configurastion schemes. Not screens.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour#SpecifyingFieldBehaviour-Managingmultiplefieldconfigurations

0 votes
Steffen June 23, 2013
I maanged to solve the problem with field configuration schemes. Thank you!!!
aarnetadmin August 27, 2013

How did you solve this with a field configuration schemes? I've been rereading the docco and I still see no way to make a field required in one screen and option in another.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2013

Steffens solution is like this: a field configuration for tasks where due date field is required and another field configuration for all other issuetypes where it is not required.

So it is actually not in different screens but for different issue type.

Steffen September 1, 2013

Rob, could you manage with Udo's answer?

Stephanie da Costa July 26, 2017

@Steffen2 if you can elaborate I would be grateful  on @Udo Brand's answer. 

I only want a feild to be manadatory at a Epic level 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Epics are an issue type so the field configuration based on different issue types is the cleanist way to go. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 14.54.38.pngCorrect me if I am wrong @Joe Pitt at the following set up under "Feild COnfiguration Schemes"  so if I add an issue type  Epic and ammend as necessary that will solve my problem?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Yes. I usually have a different field configuration for each issue type in a project. For instance, 'steps to recreate' is needed for bugs, but not for tasks. 

Thank so much Joe much appreciated. I did some major changes and then it keeps asking for my mandatory feild on Tasks, driving me bananas. 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

You need to change the field configuration on tasks to not flag as required

Okay thank you @Joe Pitt will try finish changes today. 

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2013

What are you asking can be achieved by ScriptRunner (groovy, free) or JJupin (mine, commercial, a simple scripting language) or some other plugins. There are countless plugins containing validators, conditions and postfunctions, just search to see if one suits your needs.

Suggest an answer