How to handle user management for Jira software and Jira service desk

Marc Angelo Tucciarone April 21, 2016

Hello,

We have begun the trial for JIRA service desk and we in the early stages of setting it up and configuring it. I have just run into a road block when it comes to user management. We currently have approximately 100 JIRA software users which are having their accounts being authenticated using the Active Directory connection. Now we want to introduce JIRA Service desk to our entire company and still use Active Directory to authenticate their accounts. What would be the best way to approach this? I know that JIRA Software users have access to create tickets in JIRA service desk projects but for auditing purposes we want to separate each different user base. Is there a way to do this without manually creating accounts and assigning the permissions ? I was originally thinking of using two different user directories (jira-users and jira-service-desk-users) and each user directory would automatically put them into the respective groups but this would not work as explained here:https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-multiple-directories-229838552.html 

Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2016

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but is this not achievable by placing the service desk users into appropriate AD groups and then adding the AD groups to the appropriate service desk roles?

Suggest an answer