How to handle Taskmanagement in a UserStory

Tobi Schulte August 11, 2015

Let us say I have a UserStory "My UserStory" with 3 Tasks (Task1,2,3). I created three tasks linked to the userstory but with many userstories and many tasks this is going to be a confusing very soon.

So I started not to create Tasks but SubTasks instead. These SubTasks are not not visible in the Sprint but in the Story. Since I have very few experience with Scrum and JIRA yet I would like to know if this is the common procedure handling Tasks within UserStories.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2015

Subtasks don't appear in the planning view because they don't need to. 

Because they belong to parent issues, they don't need to be prioritised.  Apologies for the next sentence, it's not easy to explain in words:  It's not logical to have a subtask from issue A that is a higher priority than one from issue B if issue B has a higher priority than A.   If you do get into that situation, then you've either got a subtask on the wrong story, or a dependency that you probably want to convert to "issue C" so it can be prioritised higher than A and B. 

Once you start the sprint, subtasks will be shown on your board, because you need to work with them at that point.

Suggest an answer