How to handle Assignee during JIRA ticket Status changes?

ralphch April 1, 2016

We currently use JIRA's Agile Scrum boards. When a ticket gets put into the active sprint, it is first assigned to a developer under status = "Open". Then, the developer moves it into Status = "In Progress".

Once the ticket is ready to be reviewed by the Reporter, it gets moved into Status = "Ready to Review", but the Assignee stays the same (i.e. the developer).

Should the Assignee change to the person that needs to take action next on the ticket? What is the more common approach?

2 answers

2 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Hi Ralph,

it depends on your notification scheme. In every case you should be sure that everyone will be notified about changes. You can achieve this

• changing assignee it is more common
  •  you can always insert a comment and mention interested user using @userName
  • You can add this user to watcher an he will be notified when issue will be updated/closed (check this in notification scheme it is more complex approach)

I hope that I helped if not let me know wink

0 votes
Jorge I Castaneda M April 8, 2016

I also would like to know what's the best approach to handle the Assignee during a ticket status change.

Is it necessary to change the Assignee when a ticket status changes???

We develop software, so we would like to know the best practices in this matter.

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer