How to group related issues: Epic vs Story

Dave Franken March 12, 2015

We're working on a requirement in our project to view images that we get from some place.

It's my job to send the images, a colleague will do the processing and another will show them on a website. How do we group these issues together? Note that there are a lot of dependencies, we can't process or show without having sent them.

I found that an Epic could have issues, but a Story only has sub-tasks, not plain issues like "New Feature", "Task", etc. What's the way to go here?

2 answers

0 votes
Anatoly Spektor June 12, 2019

Hey, Thanks for asking. I have recorded a video where I go deep into whats Story vs Epic vs Task and how to create them. I think you will benefit from it:

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.30.15 PM.png

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2015

Hello Dave,

Based on what you said, I recommend you to use epics instead of stories, since it can group different issue types and not only sub-tasks.

Regards,

Arthur Gonçalves 

Mani Gajendran October 10, 2018

We have same problem. Our hierarchy is Epic-->Story-->Tasks-->Sub-Task, Epic will include multiple stories and each of this story will in turn have many tasks. Task can have sub-tasks. 
Right now there is no way to link story to task other than using related ticket which is not ideal way. Having Story field in Task(Just like Epic link) would be great.

Like Matthias Bergmann likes this

Suggest an answer