How to grant Capture permissions to client without giving access to anything else.

TJ Baker August 25, 2014

We'd like to allow a client to use JIRA Capture for reporting issues in their project, but don't want them to be able to access anything else in our Atlassian suite. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Cheers,

tj

2 answers

0 votes
Zach Halliwell July 28, 2015

I ran into the same issue and here's how I solved it:

1. Go into projects and select the project in question.

2. Click the Gear icon in the bottom left.

3. Click "Roles" in the left pane.

4. Now, look at what role all of your end users are in. It's probably "Users" or "Service Desk Customers" if it's a Service Desk project. I put all of our users in both roles for various reasons, but for this, you'll want to make sure the "Users" role has all of the end users that will be using Capture.

5. Now, click the gear icon up in the top right next to your profile picture and select "Issues".

6. Go to Permission schemes in the left pane.

7. Click on the permission scheme that is associated with the project that you want people to be able to submit Capture issues to. This is where it can get tricky if you haven't been creating separate permission schemes for each project. If you only want them to have access to create issues for a certain project, then it needs its own permission scheme.

8. Once you're in the permission scheme for the project, scroll down until you see "Create Issues" on the left and then click "Add" over on the right hand side of that row.

9. Check the radio button titled "Project Role" and in the corresponding drop down menu, select the "Users" role.

10. Hit "add" and now your users should be able to create issues from the Capture tool.

0 votes
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hello,

You should be able to do this. You have to create JIRA users that have access restricted to JIRA only. JIRA access permissions should allow to create issues and browse the correspondent projects. This way users are given access to both JIRA and JIRA Capture. If necessary, you might need to restrict visibility to a specific projects for these specific users.

--

Cheer,

Ignat.

TJ Baker August 26, 2014

Thanks for the reply. What I need is specific step by step setup instructions with a guide to what permissions exactly to set, etc.

I've been able to grant access to JIRA and only the project we wish to grant access, for example, but the user can then log in and somehow access Tempo timesheets and view teams etc, wich we don't want.

Sadly Atlassian permission schemes are no easy thing to set up, and due to a lack of time to sit and sift through changing this and that setting, I really could use a step by step guide to do just what we need.

1. Allow access to only a single project to create issues through Capture
  2. Do not allow access to any other part of our Atlassian suite (Agile, Confluence, Tempo, etc)

Suggest an answer