How to get velocity reports from a kanban board

Natalie Street June 2, 2022

Hi!
I'm a scrum master who recently joined a new organization and the way their kanban board is set up, I have no visual of the velocity of the team or know how many story points have been completed in a certain amount of time. Everything is manually counted by other SM and then put in an Excel sheet.
I know that all of these information can be automate directly in Jira.

Can you tell me what features exactly does a kanban board needs to be able to have all that I described above?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can only generate a velocity chart when you are measuring velocity, and that requires that you have estimates on stories and are executing them in a known time frame.  Kanban does not have estimates, it measures throughput.  You can, of course draw an equivalence by saying 1 card = 1 estimate unit, but Kanban does not have the time-boxing.  So it can't draw a Velocity chart.

Natalie Street June 3, 2022

Thank you Nic!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Clare Lawson June 2, 2022
Natalie Street June 3, 2022

Hi Clare, I'm not on the cloud.
Thank you for your help!

0 votes
Antuan Sammak _ FusionTech Innovations
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2023

editing my comment apologies, thought this post was for cloud.

Suggest an answer