Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to get velocity reports from a kanban board

Hi!
I'm a scrum master who recently joined a new organization and the way their kanban board is set up, I have no visual of the velocity of the team or know how many story points have been completed in a certain amount of time. Everything is manually counted by other SM and then put in an Excel sheet.
I know that all of these information can be automate directly in Jira.

Can you tell me what features exactly does a kanban board needs to be able to have all that I described above?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can only generate a velocity chart when you are measuring velocity, and that requires that you have estimates on stories and are executing them in a known time frame.  Kanban does not have estimates, it measures throughput.  You can, of course draw an equivalence by saying 1 card = 1 estimate unit, but Kanban does not have the time-boxing.  So it can't draw a Velocity chart.

Hi Clare, I'm not on the cloud.
Thank you for your help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you