How to get previous and current values of all the changed fields in custom email.

Arpan Mehetre January 29, 2017

This post is in continuation with my previous question - 

I am able to get the different values related to the issue and have included those in my custom email template. Now in the template itself I want to be able to show a table titled - "Change Fields" inside which I will show all those fields whose values/content has been changed on transition. I want to find the previous value(before transition) held by the changed fields and also the current value(post transition). Any documentation or tutorial about such functions would also help.

Thank you.

Edit - Any thoughts guys? On transition from one state to another I want to find what properties(for eg., description, priority, attachment) of an issue has been changed and show the old values of the properties as well the new one. Please help.

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2017
Arpan Mehetre January 31, 2017

@Tarun Sapra getting an error - No such property: event for class

Also, I am writing this script directly into the web based editor of Post Functions where I am putting the content in HTML format.

Arpan Mehetre January 31, 2017

@Tarun Sapra The above error comes when I try to trigger the custom email Post Function on transition. But if I go into the editor and provide the issue key and do a Preview  then it works fine. 

The other way I found is to use - changeHistoryManager and get old, new value for each field, compare it and show the changed ones as follows - 

def changeHistoryManager = com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getChangeHistoryManager()
def created = changeHistoryManager.getChangeItemsForField(issue, "summary")

Any thoughts? Or better way than this?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2017

Hi Arpan, but does your approach guarantee that the old value of the field is the one which is just before the value after transition, as there could have been many transition before the present transition

Arpan Mehetre February 1, 2017

@Tarun Sapra Thanks Tarun for pointing that out. Yes it is not fetching the most recent value. Instead all values are fetched. 

Other than that, I dont know why I get an error on "event" keyword. 

Suggest an answer