How to get missing transitions to appear without cloning

Larry Daniele August 20, 2014

I'm using the Atlassian OnDemand version of JIRA and have added a "Defer Issue" transition to my default workflow. This transition appears on many but not all of the issues that use this workflow. I can have two similar issues in the same project and one offers "Defer Issue" and the other does not. I am an admin user so I have full permissions to do (just about) anything and I've verified this with the Permissions Checker.

The article Missing Available Workflow Actions suggests running Administraton > System > Integrity Checker, but this does not seem to be available OnDemand.

It also suggests moving the issue to another project and then back again. This did not solve the problem.

It also suggests cloning the problem ticket and that does work.

I have 67 issues that have this missing transition. Is there some way other than tediously cloning these issues individually to restore access to the new transition?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2014

I'm guessing that the issues that are missing the action are either of different issue types (and hence have a different workflow that is not allowing "defer issue") or they have data on them that prevents the transition from showing.

Check which workflows are in use in the project, and then look at the conditions on the "defer issue" transition to see why it's not there.

Larry Daniele August 20, 2014

Nic, thanks for the ideas...

I can see no apparent difference between issues that show or don't show the "Defer Issue" transition. They are the same type ("Task") and I'm not aware of any data that would prevent a certain transition from showing.

I have two conditions on the transition ("Resolve Permission" and "Close Permission"). But as an admin user, I have these permissions. And that would not explain why some Tasks in the same project show "Defer Issue" and some don't. I either have the permission or I don't. I have also tried removing all conditions on the transition and that had no effect.

I'm guessing that it was some sort of "JIRA workflow migration issue / bug" when cleaning up and unifying the workflow schemes on all my projects. But I still need to clean things up and hope there's a better solution than cloning.

Suggest an answer