How to get issuekey of the epic link

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2014

ON JIRA5, if we exported results in an excel, the epic link column use to return the issue key of the epic, i.,e. ABC-123, which was fine and what we wanted.

But after upgrading to jira6, we find that, the epic link column (when exported to excel) now returns the name of the epic (i.e. <EPIC-NAME> instead of ABC-123).

How can i get ABC-123 instead of the epic name when exporting to excel.?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

Hi Rahul,

The epic link url is exported, but excel will display the epic name as a hyperlink to the epic. This url also contains the ABC-123, but it is not displayed directly into excel anymore.

Do you really need ABC-123 displayed instead of the epic name or do you just need to now it is there somewere?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2014

Hi Benji

Yes we need the issuekey of the epic, as that is used by our excel macros and vlookup function to generate reports on excel.

Is it possible to retrieve the issue key of epics?

Benji Mommen [ACA IT] May 6, 2014

Hi Rahul

As far as I can tell it is not possible to export the issue key directly from JIRA into your excel document. You probably have to write some VBA code in excel to replace the epic names with their corresponding epic keys (since this information is indeed exported under the form of a url).

0 votes
Jem November 14, 2019

Hi Rahul  

To export the issuekey of each epic link to excel, do the following:

ensure there are the minimum columns you need in the query > export current fields to csv > choose | as the delimiter (you’re unlikely to have | in any of your fields) > go into excel and go file > import > csv file > import > choose the downloaded csv file from your downloads folder > leave defaults of delimited and start import at row 1 and hit next > choose other for delimiter and put | in the field > leave other default(s) > hit next > probably leave defaults on next screen or make any particular column type selections (story points will come as an addable number) > hit Finish  > probably accept  default on next screen or select field and sheet > hit ok

Suggest an answer