How to get internal users to use ldap for passwords

MARC COTE August 11, 2011

How do I get internal users to authenticate using ldap? I created internal users with passwords, then decided to create a directory option using LDAP. New users can authenticate using ldap just fine. Existing users can only login using the internal password.

4 answers

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

Hi there,

Basically you can change the order of the directories on User Management > User Directories.

Set your LDAP on the top, so Jira will seacrh for users to authenticate first on the LDAP, so its password will be used to authenticate, instead of the internal password.

Check here for more information: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+User+Directories'

Hope it helps!

0 votes
Tor Biggar August 18, 2011

I have the same issue, the user id's are the same (I believe they might be uppercase as opposed to jira where they are stored in lowercase).

There is a little information here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24221

As a workaround
Backup and modify the database for the tables <tt>cwd_membership</tt> and <tt>cwd_user</tt> so that the <tt>directory_id</tt> is set to be the id of "Delegated LDAP Directory" as in the table <tt>cwd_directory</tt>. This will make the internal users to be authenticated with LDAP.

I would like to strictly authenticate against LDAP and use existing groups already in JIRA for permissions. I tried changing just the cwd_user data, but that didn't work.

Everytime I get it to work, I find that all of the JIRA groups I belong to are clobbered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 votes
Tor Biggar August 18, 2011

I have the same issue, the user id's are the same (I believe they might be uppercase as opposed to jira where they are stored in lowercase).

There is a little information here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24221

As a workaround
Backup and modify the database for the tables <tt>cwd_membership</tt> and <tt>cwd_user</tt> so that the <tt>directory_id</tt> is set to be the id of "Delegated LDAP Directory" as in the table <tt>cwd_directory</tt>. This will make the internal users to be authenticated with LDAP.

I would like to strictly authenticate against LDAP and use existing groups already in JIRA for permissions. I tried changing just the cwd_user data, but that didn't work.

Everytime I get it to work, I find that all of the JIRA groups I belong to are clobbered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2011

Are you certain the JIRA username is identical to the LDAP username?

Suggest an answer