How to get an overview of current users, their groups, and resulting project roles and permissions?

arminb2909 December 12, 2012

We are using jira for a while and the users love it. The growing numbers of users and projects we are using shows this. Unfortunately, as the set of persons and their roles as well as the permission schemes vary from one project to the other it has become a nightmare to find your way through it. Don't think it is getting easier by several persons sharing the administration work. On the contrary, there are various "handwritings".

Is their a convenient way to list up per user or per project who is entitled to do what?

Any helpful script, web-page or third party product would be appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2012
arminb2909 December 17, 2012

I tried to install it, nothing happend. I had no additional graphics on the screen, nor additional menu items. Is the version 2 supposed to work with Jira 4.4 at all? if not, where can I get version 1.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

You should get version 1.0.5 (this is for JIRA 4.4), not 2.x (JIRA 5.x)

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2012

While you have an ER diagram for jira, it is quite big to read and understand. The main tables you should be looking at are all tables starting with cwd_ , projectroleactor and projectrole. It is straight forward to derive the relationships.

Btw, per user there is already a page that shows the users roles, will that be helpful? (view project role link in the user page)

0 votes
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2012

Hi Armin,

If you navigate to the People screen of your Project administration, you should see all users that are associated to each Project Role.

On the Permission screen on that same Project permission screen you should be able to see what are the permissions of each of those roles and users individually.

I'm not sure if you were thinking of a different to visualize that. Maybe directly on the database?

I'm not aware of any plugins that might display this differently.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

arminb2909 December 17, 2012

If there is some documentation somwhere how things are stored in the database, i could extract that info and maybe build some clever queries. (is there?)

Suggest an answer