How to get an email notification when a card enters a column on a board?

Ian Pedlar February 13, 2017

So we have a board with a series of columns, I have to keep manually looking to see if any cards have entered one or two of the columns and I occasionally miss them because I'm busy elsewhere. 

Is it possible to set JIRA up to get an email notification when a card has entered a column?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2017

Columns area representation of the workflow for an issue.  A card going into a column is just a display of the underlying issue moving into one of the status within that column.

So, take a look at the workflow and the notification scheme.  To change an issue's status, transitions are used.  Transitions all have "fire event" as a post-function, and the events feed into email notifications.   You need to make sure that your workflow fires events that send you an email when the status changes.

Ian Pedlar February 14, 2017

Answer translated = 'It might be' as obviously this is a much needed function, everyone will want to be alerted when a card is moved into the column that they are responsible for, however you will need a degree in astro-physics and one in molecular-chemistry plus the patients of an angel and you will probably end up sorting through the mess of emails that JIRA fires at you to perhaps use your equivalent of Outlooks 'rules' to filter out anything that relates to a card entering the column or columns that you are interested in.

Good luck with that. smile

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2017

Er, it's not "it might be", it's "it does it".

JIRA is complex, because of its flexibility.

If you're struggling with "column moves = workflow events which lead to notifications" and/or volume of mail, then try working backwards.  Start with the notification scheme which says "email these people when event X happens", and then go to the workflow to see what events are being fired.

Suggest an answer