How to get all Jira statuses from a workflow of an issue by using rest API

Tuyen Ho April 11, 2017

I'm using jira cloud. Now I want to get all statuses from a workflow of an issue by using rest API. I read rest api specification, searched google and this forum but no hope.

There is a post look as same as my issue. However, the answer is not clear and it seems to be used for jira server version. 

Anyone please help! Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

The short answer to the question is "you can't".  There is no REST call for "all JIRA status from a workflow".

You are right about the other post you found - it's about code that you can add to a server install, not about a REST call.

But we can get you close.  The rest API has  GET /rest/api/2/project/{projectIdOrKey}/statuses which will get you all the status for a project (in which your issue lives)

Generally though, a list of status for a workflow is not really that useful.  You can't do a lot with it, other than reporting, and for that sort of reporting, the list of status from the project is usually more useful.

The usual reason for asking for a list of status is for the follow-up - you want to transition the issue to one of them.  There is a far better option in the REST interface here - use /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions - this lists the currently available transitions (and their end point), which saves you having to code to work out what transitions might be valid.

6 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2017

There is an inofficial REST API provided by JIRA's project-config plugin you can use:

• You can retrieve the workflowscheme with this call: 
    JIRA_BASE_URL/rest/projectconfig/1/workflowscheme/PROJECT_KEY
  • The workflow can then be retrieved using the workflow name by one of the following endpoints:
    JIRA_BASE_URL/rest/projectconfig/1/workflow?workflowName=WORKFLOW_NAME&projectKey=PROJECT_KEY
    JIRA_BASE_URL/rest/workflowDesigner/latest/workflows?name=WORKFLOW_NAME&draft=false

These endpoints are right now also available in the JIRA Cloud, but of course there is no guarantee that they remain stable.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2017

btw: unfortunately these endpoints are not available with other authentication methods than basic HTTP authentication.

Please vote or comment here if you want to get these APIs officially.

1 vote
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

Hi Tuyen,

You probably saw the API calls for getting all statuses in JIRA and statuses that apply to a particular project. You probably also saw how to get all the available transitions for a particular issue (the results show what statuses the issue could wind up in).

The answer you linked to gives an example of code you might use to retrieve the statuses from a workflow in Java. While they don't explicitly point to these instructions here, they do imply you'd need to develop your own plugin to do it. Unfortunately that's probably something far more involved than you were looking for.

Given the other information available in the API, I agree that this seems like something you might expect to find in the workflow API. One workaround using only the APIs available to you might be to create a project that only has the workflow you're interested in, and then use the project API to retreive the statuses for that project (which will be limited to just that workflow).

Tuyen Ho April 11, 2017

Thanks for supporting me. I will try to build a plugin :D :D

Suggest an answer