How to get a new custom field to appear on an already existing ticket in the view state?

Cameron Priestley August 15, 2017

So I have open tickets, and currently I am adding a new custom multi-select field--the field is required and has a default value. 

The only problem is the new custom field will not appear on tickets that have already been created, unless I manually edit the ticket. 

Is there any solutions out there that might rectify this issue? 

2 answers

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

I caution you about giving a default value to a required field; from my experience people don't change the default. Early in my experience I was asked to do that and we ended up with about 30 percent of tickets having the default when they should obviously been something else.  In general people only fill in fields that are required, and as soon as you give it a default they aren't required to change it from the default. 

Cameron Priestley August 15, 2017

@Joe Pitt Thanks for the advice!

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

You could use a query to get the existing tickets and then do a bulk edit on them to set the value for the custom field.

Suggest an answer