How to get AGE and Status from linked issues?

azanotti January 4, 2022

I have a project (Lets call it project A) on which "A"'s issues, are linked to to other projects. 

I am building a filter to get the linked issues from each issue, but I'd like to get the status, and AGE(today()-created date) from each linked issue.

Any way to do it with out plugins?

2 answers

0 votes
Gerda Grantiņa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

Hi @azanotti
You can achieve this type of report by using eayzBI for Jira app.
In eazyBI advanced settings, you can define which issue links you want to see in the report and then build a report using the issue link dimension
See this eazyBI community for the detailed step by step guide: https://community.eazybi.com/t/import-issue-links-as-dimension/6652/3

And when it is done, you can create a measure in eazyBI that shows you the "Average resolution days of Linked Bugs", see the example in this training report with other possible measures you can get from linked issues: https://eazybi.com/accounts/22010/cubes/Issues/reports/376216-stories-with-bugs-details

eazyBI linked issues.jpg

best,
Gerda // support@eazyBI.com

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2022

Hello @azanotti

For getting linked issues from another project, I suggest you use an app. My favorite is Search Linked Issues (I am not related to this app). This app introduces new JQL functions that return issues that are linked to one of the issues in your JQL. Works just like the built-in JQL function " issue in linkedIssues('ABC-123') " but instead of ABC-123 you can use a JQL query.

What I told you so far is all about filtering linked issues. Nothing about age calculation yet. If you can filter your issues without the functions of an app, you can use the solutions below like that too.

So, about calculating age...

When you have a way to filter your linked issues, you can use Jira's Average Age chart (or dashboard gadget). This gadget shows the average age of all unresolved issues. It has a limited parameter setting options. It automatically excludes resolved issues (issues that have a value for resolution field) and you can't tell it not to exclude them.

Alternatively, if you have Jira Software, you can try using the Control Chart that is available as part of Kanban Boards. Once again, you will have limited flexibility in reporting. You will probably need to create a board and define columns for each different query. And it will not show individual issues. Nevertheless, it will give you a good overall picture.

I know you said "without plugins" but from here below, I can only suggest a solution that utilizes our plugin.

As a more flexible alternative, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center. (Yes, my team built it and I AM related to this app)

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status and on each assignee. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png     

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is perfect to get measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc.

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per customer (organization) or average resolution time per week, month, issuetype, request type, etc.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

Suggest an answer