How to fix the collation of a Postgres JIRA database

DerivcoITServer October 3, 2017

Hi,

I have been following this article on how to fix my postgres database collation issue.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-fix-the-collation-of-a-postgres-jira-database-776657961.html

1. Create an XML backup.
  2. Create a new database as per our guidelines. Please refer to Setting up a PostgreSQL Database for JIRA if you are using Linux.

3. Adjust your JIRA database connection to point to the new database. 
  4. Restore your data to the new database using Restoring Data.
  5. Start JIRA and ensure that everything is working correctly
  6. You may want to run Database Integrity Checker to verify you data.

This requires you to do an xml backup and restore.  Is there no other way possibly creating a new database and loading the data using native database tools such as psql ?

Regards,

Avinash

3 answers

0 votes
Jira Median December 15, 2017

Hi,

Is it possible just to change the collation of the jira database without create a new database ? I want to say changing just the collation settings of the jirad database.

0 votes
DerivcoITServer October 4, 2017

Thanks Nic. How will I know if the restoration will not change the new collation back?

Name | Owner | Encoding | Collate | Ctype | Access privileges
-------------------------+------------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
jiradb| jira| UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
jiraNew| jira| UTF8 | C | C |

Here is what I am doing:

- create jiraNew database with new collation

- restore a backup of jiradb to jiraNew using , psql jiraNew < backupfile

Are these collations (en_US.UTF-8 and C) very different?

DerivcoITServer October 4, 2017

jiradb was the old database.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

Yes, you can use the database tools to do this.  As long as restoration of data will not change the new collation back.

However, if the collations are very different, you may find some of your data changes to match.  The xml export/import is agnostic of that.

Suggest an answer